The Franz-Hermann Brüner Memorial Lecture
Franz-Hermann Brüner, who served as the first Director-General of the European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF) from 2000 to 2009, was the first Chairman of the Conference of International Investigators and its Secretariat. Throughout his extraordinary career, Mr. Brüner was committed to harnessing the community of international organizations to globalize the fight against fraud and corruption. He supported the creation of a forum of international investigators to enhance the understanding of each other’s challenges and methods. Forging partnerships with other investigative offices and exploring ways to work collaboratively was a key part of his working philosophy.
Mr. Brüner was instrumental in expanding the CII’s influence in its early years, increasing the number and type of participating organizations and using the CII as a forum to raise the bar on the work of all participating integrity offices. Since his death in 2010, prominent or distinguished industry professionals, scholars or dignitaries have been invited to present the Franz-Hermann Brüner Memorial Lecture on the conference’s opening day. The lectures are designed to recognize Mr. Brüner’s role in establishing the CII and to honor his achievements and use of investigations as a deterrent to combat fraud and corruption. They also highlight the role of international organizations today in combating fraud and corruption around the world as well as in advancing anti-corruption objectives to which Mr. Brüner was deeply committed.
Past lecturers have been:
- Professor Manfred Nowak, Director of the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Human Rights, Vienna. (17th);
- The Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG, Justice of the High Court of Australia (1996-2009), President of the International Commission of Jurists (1995-8), Member of the Equitable Access Initiative of the Global Fund (2015-16), Member of the Pacific Friends of the Global Fund (2007- present) (16th);
- Francine Gross, from the United States Federal Bureau of Investigations Economic Crime Unit (15th);
- Professor Oluwole Soyinka, 1986 Nobel Prize winner in Literature (14th);
- Ros Wright CB QC, Chair of Fraud Advisory Panel, ex-Head of Serious Fraud Office (UK) and former Chair of OLAF Supervisory Board (13th);
- Lanny Breuer, Assistant Attorney General of the United States (12th);
- Judge Barry O’Keefe, AM QC, Former Commissioner of the Independent Commission Against Corruption (New South Wales) and a former Chief Judge on the NSW Supreme Court (11th).